#MenuMonday: Chicken Phyllo Turnovers
Looking to serve your guests something unique on your wedding day? These Chicken Phyllo Turnovers are the perfect choice for you. The blend of spiced meat, flaky phyllo and powdered sugar and cinnamon will create something your guests may never have encountered before. It is something that will surprise your guests and will separate your wedding day from the rest. This appetizer recipe from myrecipes.com is one that will never be forgotten.
- Cooking spray
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon grated peeled fresh ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 6 ounces skinless, boneless chicken thighs
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar, divided
- 24 (14 x 9-inch) sheets frozen phyllo dough, thawed
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1. Heat a medium skillet over medium-low heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add onion, ginger, and garlic; cook 8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in salt, turmeric, and pepper; cook 30 seconds, stirring constantly. Add 1 1/2 cups water, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Add chicken and cinnamon stick. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 25 minutes, turning chicken occasionally. Remove chicken from pan.
2. Increase heat to medium-high; cook 15 minutes or until mixture is reduced to 3/4 cup. Reduce heat to medium-low. Add egg to pan, stirring with a whisk. Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly (mixture will be curdled). Remove from heat. Stir in parsley. Finely chop chicken; stir into egg mixture.
3. Combine almonds and 1 tablespoon sugar.
4. Preheat oven to 400°.
5. Place 1 phyllo sheet on a work surface (cover remaining phyllo to keep from drying); coat phyllo with cooking spray. Arrange another phyllo sheet over coated phyllo sheet; coat with cooking spray. Repeat once more for a total of 3 phyllo sheets. Cut phyllo stack lengthwise into 3 (3-inch-wide) strips. Spoon about 1 tablespoon chicken mixture onto 1 end of each strip; sprinkle with about 1 teaspoon almond mixture. Fold 1 corner of phyllo dough over mixture to form a triangle; keep folding back and forth into a triangle to end of strip. Place triangle, seam side down, on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper; cover to prevent drying. Repeat procedure with remaining phyllo, cooking spray, chicken mixture, and almond mixture. Lightly coat triangles with cooking spray.
6. Bake at 400° for 20 minutes or until lightly browned. Combine remaining 1 tablespoon sugar and cinnamon; dust over pastries. Serve warm.
Yield: 12 servings
Total Time: 1 hour
Original Recipe: http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/chicken-phyllo-turnovers
Make sure to let us know if you enjoyed these tasty Chicken Phyllo Turnovers!
Check back on www.bctent.com/blog every Monday for a #MenuMonday party food or beverage recipe!